Dynamic Cyber-attacks on healthcare systems result in data breaches that put patients and their Protected Health Information (PHI) at risk. Medical devices can be manipulated, leading to disastrous outcomes, threatening the safety of patients. Our infrastructure resilience is in danger due to constant penetration by external threats. This session will describe the current cyber-threats faced by the American healthcare system, provide real-world examples of how cyber-attacks impact patient safety, and advocate that a paradigm shift is needed to build a cyberwarrior workforce to help protect against these rapidly evolving threats. A growing need for improving our leadership capabilities in healthcare cybersecurity will be addressed as well.
Additional Supporting Materials
Other Resources / Information
- Understand the threat of cyber-attacks faced by the American healthcare system
- Understand how cyber-threats impact patient safety across the healthcare continuum of care
- Understand the paradigm shift needed to build a cyberwarrior workforce to mitigate cyber threats and protect patients’ lives
- Leanne Field, Clinical Professor and Director, Healthcare Innovation, McCombs School of Business, The University of Texas at Austin
- Mac McMillan, CEO Emeritus, CynergisTek
- Sri Bharadwaj, Director, Information Services and Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), UCI Health
Leanne Field, Clinical Professor and Director, Healthcare Innovation, The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.