SXSW EDU 2019
The Fifth Core: A Dedicated Course Approach to SEL
Student and teacher led workshop exploring the content, application and long-term impact of a research and evidence based social and emotional learning freshman dedicated course. This course has not only helped reduce freshman failures by 41% and freshman discipline referrals by 71% over a four-year span, but also the class has had significant long-term positive impacts for students. The workshop will be led by the teacher and two former students who went from "at risk to Ivy League" schools.
Share this idea
- What are the impacts (both short and long-term) of a research and evidence based dedicated course approach to Social and Emotional Learning?
- What are best practices for starting a successful Social and Emotional Learning dedicated course?
- What are example Social and Emotional Learning lessons and how do they apply to real world situations in order to help students achieve their goals?
- R. Keeth Matheny, Teacher / Speaker / Author, Austin Independent School District / SEL Launchpad
- Miranda Gershoni, Student, Duke University
- Daniel McCutchen, Student, Harvard
R. Keeth Matheny, Teacher / Speaker / Author, Austin Independent School District / SEL Launchpad