SXSW EDU 2019
The Fifth Core: A Dedicated Course Approach to SEL
Student and teacher led workshop exploring the content, application and long-term impact of a research and evidence based social and emotional learning freshman dedicated course. This course has not only helped reduce freshman failures by 41% and freshman discipline referrals by 71% over a four-year span, but also the class has had significant long-term positive impacts for students. The workshop will be led by the teacher and two former students who went from "at risk to Ivy League" schools.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What are the impacts (both short and long-term) of a research and evidence based dedicated course approach to Social and Emotional Learning?
- What are best practices for starting a successful Social and Emotional Learning dedicated course?
- What are example Social and Emotional Learning lessons and how do they apply to real world situations in order to help students achieve their goals?
- R. Keeth Matheny, Teacher / Speaker / Author, Austin Independent School District / SEL Launchpad
- Miranda Gershoni, Student, Duke University
- Daniel McCutchen, Student, Harvard
R. Keeth Matheny, Teacher / Speaker / Author, Austin Independent School District / SEL Launchpad