Funding Your Indie Film: From Short to Feature
You’ve had some success securing funding from grants, friends, and family, to get your first few indie projects off the ground. But as your budgets expand, so does your need for additional funding. So what’s next?
This panel will provide a diverse range of perspectives on the questions that emerging indie filmmakers grapple with in identifying additional sources of capital. Special emphasis will be given to differences in cultural norms that inform filmmakers’ comfort levels in seeking out funding, and the imperative that both producers and financiers take account these differences to bring about a more equitable distribution of funds across the independent film landscape.
- For those who lack power, money or access, a better understanding of how to access and gain the attention of financiers in the indie film community.
- How to set yourself up for success when approaching financiers for your project, and best practices in working with financiers once they are onboard.
- Acknowledging cultural differences and norms related to fundraising and helping filmmakers recognize what is the best fundraising style for them.
- Sophia Yen, Partner, Manatt Phelps & Phillips LLP
- Caroline von Kuhn, Former Director, Industry & Catalyst, Sundance Institute
- Jenifer Westphal, Founder, CEO and Executive Producer, Wavelength Productions, LLC
- Jonathan Gardner, Co-Founder and Partner, Cohen Gardner LLP
Sophia Yen, Partner, Manatt Phelps & Phillips LLP
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.