It’s hard to recall a more troubling time to be a journalist. Forty one journalists have been killed while on assignment in the first six months of 2022 alone. From Ukraine to China to Mexico, the rights of a free press, which are essential to a thriving society, are threatened at every turn. The U.S. faces another kind of threat: it ranks last among 46 countries when it comes to trust in the media. Funding is contracting while journalists are working more and earning less, covering 4 beats vs 3 last year and earning significantly less than 2 years ago. Muck Rack will break the news from the 2023 State of Journalism Report, which will reveal insights into journalist sentiment, workload and challenges, based on our annual survey. We will be joined by journalists, tech and nonprofit leaders.
Additional Supporting Materials
Other Resources / Information
- what needs to be done to support and protect a free press
- how tech can increase trust and investment in independent news
- how to source more funding for local journalism
- Gregory Galant, Cofounder and CEO, Muck Rack
- Dr. Elizabeth Hansen Shapiro, Co founder & CEO, National Trust for Local News
- Sara Fischer, Media Reporter, Axios
- Jodie Ginsberg, President, Committee To Protect Journalists
Linda Zebian, Communications Director, Muck Rack
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.