Energy consumption has become an important consideration in the blockchain industry, with concerns that blockchain mining is wasteful and only serves to line the pockets of a few while damaging the environment. The Energy Web Foundation and Crypto Client Accord are working to develop and deploy open-source decentralized technologies that are more energy efficient, and teams like Protocol Labs are working to ensure that greener alternatives for miners are available. This panel will explore energy use in blockchain mining, how and why these organizations are working to make blockchains more green, and how teams and companies can ensure they’re using best practices for environmentally compliant energy consumption.
Other Resources / Information
- Uncover what blockchain mining is, and how this technology works.
- Learn about the alternatives to traditional blockchain mining that are more environmentally sustainable.
- Discover ways to get involved with greener blockchain initiatives.
- Alan Ransil, Research Scientist, Protocol Labs
- Doug Miller, Global Markets Lead, Energy Web
- Jesse Miller, CEO, Energy Web
- Eric Masanet, PROFESSOR AND MELLICHAMP CHAIR IN SUSTAINABILITY SCIENCE FOR EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES, UC Santa Barbara
Jamie Nicholson, Event Manager, Protocol Labs
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.