Does our understanding of motivators and barriers for pre-college youth interested in STEM careers align with the conversations they have online? How do students with low socioeconomic status differ from their affluent peers when they talk about their STEM education and career journeys? We’ll answer these with our analysis of 50,000+ social media and forum posts from 20,000+ users between 2018 and 2021. We’ll use student voices to help STEM educators and workforce developers plan for the future.
- Participants will understand how social listening data is collected and analyzed to understand student motivations and perceptions.
- Using social listening data participants will learn the motivators and barriers to STEM career pursuit for pre-college students in the U.S.
- Using social listening data participants will differentiate the unique barriers/motivators in STEM for students with low socioeconomic status.
- Greg Heiberger, Associate Dean of Academics & Student Success, South Dakota State University
- Liz Gross, Founder & CEO, Campus Sonar
Greg Heiberger, Associate Dean Of Academics & Student Success, South Dakota State University
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.