Nationwide Cannabis Legalization- Are You Ready?
At this moment, 37 states have legalized cannabis for medical use and 18 states (including many major cities/markets) have cannabis legalized for full adult usage, with several in the former group looking to expand legalization, and only three states totally prohibiting it. Some form of CBD is allowed in almost all states as well. As such, it's just a matter of "when," not "if," cannabis is finally given its blessing on a federal level in the United States. When that does happen, there will be enormous changes within the cannabis industry itself of course but also ripple effects across several other industries and an overall major economic impact. Our panel will address this seismic change from a business, public policy and health/medical prospective with experts from these fields.
Other Resources / Information
- What is the likely timing of federal legalization, and what will it look like?
- What are the current tailwinds and headwinds for that to happen, including how the different political parties approach the issue?
- How will the spread of cannabis legalization affect other industries (the medical field in particular)?
- David Culver, VP, International Government Relations, Canopy Growth
- Vivien Azer, Managing Director Senior Research Analyst Beverages, Tobacco & Cannabis, Cowen
- Darren Weiss, General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer, Verano Holdings Corp.
- John Kagia, Chief Knowledge Officer (Cannabis Industry; Head of Industry Research, Advisor, Consultant, Educator), New Frontier Data
Eric Berlin, Co-Head Cannabis Group, Partner, Dentons
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.