From algorithms and AI to content moderation and data privacy — the policies and practices of the major social media platforms have enormous impacts on us all. GLAAD’s inaugural Social Media Safety Index (SMSI) report findings indicate that Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and TikTok are effectively unsafe for LGBTQ users across all of these categories. How can these companies be held accountable and what are some of the recommendations and solutions being put forth by leaders in the field? Join SMSI program director Jenni Olson to learn about GLAAD's ongoing advocacy work and engage in discussion about the roadmap forward, including how we can all be a part of creating safer spaces for LGBTQ people online.
Other Resources / Information
- What are some of the biggest top level problems with social media platforms (disinformation, hate & harassment, AI bias, lack of data privacy, etc.).
- What are some of the current strategies for addressing the corrosive impacts of social media platforms on society?
- Should tech companies/social media platforms absorb the costs of public health & safety for their products or should society?
- Jenni Olson, Social Media Safety Index Program, Director, GLAAD
- Brennan Suen, Senior Strategist, Media Matters for America
Jenni Olson, Senior Director, Social Media Safety Program, GLAAD
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.