Nurturing talent is a crucial strategy for retention. In the last few years, tech companies have made commitments to diversify their teams through a variety of external and internal work-based initiatives. However, it is not enough to hire or apprentice people of color if the company culture is not set up to support and retain this talent. Nor does this make economic sense as it is estimated to be a $16Billion problem according to Kapor Center’s 2017 national study on tech workers leaving the industry. A holistic approach is needed to coach companies not only on diverse hiring but also on creating an inclusive and intersectional culture. This panel brings together thoughtful and intentional leaders who are building an this culture in different roles throughout the tech ecosystem.
Other Resources / Information
- Understand the state of diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in the technology industry
- Develop deeper insights on mitigating hiring bias and diversifying company recruiting and retention strategy for people of color.
- Learn about the strategies and tactics that build an inclusive and intersectional culture for people of color.
- Kirsten Lundgren, Director, TechHire Oakland, Kapor Center
- Josh Torres, Program Manager, Kapor Center
- Aubrey Blanche, Global Head of Diversity & Belonging , Atlassian
- Dominique Hollins, Co-Founder, Our Collective
Kirsten Lundgren, Director, TechHire Oakland, Kapor Center
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.