Volumetric Documentary; making "The Choice VR"
Documentary film is an art-form as old as cinema itself. It continues to evolve as technology pushes visual media into new frontiers. 'The Choice VR' (in-development) is an immersive volumetric documentary exploring the diverse reasons people choose to have an abortion.
Virtual reality presented opportunities to fundamentally change the relationship a viewer can have with the subject matter. While balancing the finite resources of a documentary art project, the scope grew from a simple 360 video into an internally developed stereoscopic volumetric 6-DOF capture process. Leveraging “person presence” over traditional world presence, the volumetric subjects break down the abstract barriers between them and the viewer in a way never before possible.
- Having a clear focus of how your narrative needs can drive a project towards different technologies.
- Designing the experience for the viewers to make it immersive and interactive, without feeling gimmicky
- The talk will cover affordable options for volumetric video that makes it possible to capture real people in a way that can be emotionally impactful.
- Joanne-Aśka Popińska, Co-Founder, Tribe of Pan inc.
- Tom C. Hall, Co-Founder, Tribe of Pan inc.
Tom Hall, Co-Founder, Tribe of Pan Inc.
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.