Stories, Songs, and Science: Music & Mental Health
Terry Stuart was hurting. So he approached his friend Rob Carli to help him ask people what music lifted their spirits, made them find comfort, or just got them dancing.
What they discovered was WAY more than they bargained for.
What started as a water-cooler discussion about music that makes you happy and hopeful turned into a national campaign called THE AWESOME MUSIC PROJECT. In the fall of 2019 they published their first collection of stories from people as diverse as Michael Bublé, Sarah McLachlan, comedian Rick Mercer and NHLers Theo Fleury and Jordan Eberle, discussing the transformative impact that music has made in their lives. They have now created a national campaign that raises money for music and mental health research. Listen to their story about how music changes lives.
Other Resources / Information
- Healing. By sharing stories about the transformative power of music, we are reminded of the important healing impact that music can have on your life.
- Community Development. The Awesome Music Project educates, engages, and enables everyone in our communities to get involved.
- Scientific Research. AMP is driving breakthrough research in the healing power of music to address our society’s mental health challenges.
- Rob Carli, Composer, Media Music Corp
- Terry Stuart, Chief Innovation Officer, Deloitte
Rob Carli, Composer, Media Music Corp
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.