Pushing the boundaries of what video games are
The independent video games sector is confronted to the same dilemma as other cultural industries like cinema : when funding is still the crux of the matter, and when you have to compete with blockbusters carried by the major studios, how to produce independent video games with strong authors points of view, which often means to deviate from mass market preferences ?
Some european producers/game studios take up this challenge. They gave birth to internationally recognized productions, and you will learn a lot from their experiences during this session.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Understand the way european independent video game developers produce original contents.
- Understand the power of storytelling in independent video games.
- Concretes examples of european independent video games that reached a large audience.
- Gilles Freissinier, Head of digital, ARTE France
- Odile Limpach, Professor for economics and entrepreneurship for games & Co-Founder of SpielFabrique (accelerator for videogames), TH Köln - University of Applied Sciences & SpielFabrique
- Florent Maurin, Founder & President, The Pixel Hunt
- Pauline Augrain, Head of the Digital Creation Department, National Center of Cinematography and the Moving Image (CNC)
Gilles Freissinier, Head of digital, ARTE France