SXSW Interactive 2013
The Future of Mobile Ads: In App Product Placement
Monetization on mobile. A hot topic that seems to always include advertising. Yet, studies suggest that people don't actually *like* ads (shocker!). Steve Jobs even proclaimed "ads suck".
However, with over a decade of ads on the web, one can expect there to be ads on mobile devices. Yet the form factor of a phone or tablet and the pricing models of CPM, CPC and CPA simply don't allow for a one-to-one mapping of the web's ads onto mobile devices from a business and UX perspective.
So what is one to do?!
The future of mobile ads involves in-app product placement. Think of ads less like ads and more like "ad-like objects" that are positioned and intertwined in the app experience as opposed to the rudimentary form of dropping in a banner.
This presentation will discuss how to monetize on mobile leveraging the concept of in-app product placement by working with developers, content publishers and even attacking larger budgets to maximize profits.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Why won't web ads map to mobile?
- Why are CPC, CPM, and CPA archaic forms of measuring ads' impact on mobile?
- What is an ad-like object and how does one go about designing, developing and deploying one?
- Why are people chasing smaller budgets for digital advertising and how does in-app product placement change that?
- How does in-app product placement scale?
- Joe McCann, Mobile Architect, Bazaarvoice
Joe McCann, Mobile Architect, Bazaarvoice