SXSW EDU 2018
Improving Climate with SEL & Restorative Practices
How do you create a school where kids feel welcome, understood, and ready to learn? You’ll hear from a principal at an urban K-8 school and her district’s director of school climate who’ve partnered with experts in SEL and RP on innovative integration of social-emotional learning (SEL) and restorative practices (RP). Often misperceived as separate, stand-alone efforts, SEL and RP are powerful in combination. Learn about practical integration strategies for school-wide training and support.
Share this idea
- Understand how restorative practices and SEL are complementary and what a school-wide integrated implementation looks like in a K-8 school.
- Use specific, practical, intentionally integrated strategies for SEL and RP staff training, implementation support and sustainability
- Explore the classroom and school-wide benefits of pairing SEL and RP.
- Jody Greenblatt, Deputy, School Climate and Safety, School District of Philadelphia
- Tia Kim, Director of Programs, Partnerships and Research, Committee for Children
- Fatima Rogers, Principal, Charles W Henry School
- Keith Hickman, Director of Continuing Education, International Institute for Restorative Practices
Juliet Kandel, Implementation & Partnerships Mgr, Committee for Children