If cities are the laboratories of democracy, how can people encourage experimentation in our government? A civic paradigm shift is already underway, forcing social media to get real and local government to get digital. Civic tech and social entrepreneurs must harness viral moments, converting them to real life activism. Politicians and city managers too must innovate by replacing standing in line with clicking online. And it’s all powered by us: the people.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Cities are drivers of innovation but what makes them innovative?
- How might citizens participate in collaborative processes around policy issues in cities?
- How does social-media use influence political participation and civic engagement?
- Alberto Altamirano, Co-founder and CEO, Cityflag
- Ron Nirenberg , Mayor, The City of San Antonio
- Abigail Golden-Vazques, Executive Director, Aspen Institute Latinos & Society
- Mignon Clyburn , Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission
Alberto Altamirano, Co-founder and CEO, Cityflag
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.