In most industries, you can fund a business by getting a loan from a bank or acquiring investment capital from institutional investment firms. However, in the marijuana industry, it’s more difficult because marijuana’s stigma and federal criminal status makes it hard to obtain funding for business operations. Now, capital is starting to flow into this nascent industry and that is allowing a new breed of entrepreneurs to enter the marketplace. This panel will explore what stood in the way of investing in marijuana businesses and how those barriers are lifting.
Additional Supporting Materials
- How were initial marijuana businesses able to launch with such limited access to start-up capital?
- What shifts have taken place to allow more entrepreneurs to start marijuana businesses in recent years?
- How will the future of marijuana and investing continue to evolve, and what must happen to encourage more growth in the marijuana investment sector?
- Rick Kimball, HExL Advisors
- Troy Dayton, The Arcview Group
- Emily Paxhia, Poseidon Asset Management
- Adam Bierman, MedMen
Troy Dayton, CEO, The ArcView Group
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.