SXSW Interactive 2013
Is Meritocracy in Silicon Valley A Myth?
Silicon Valley loves to call itself a meritocracy. But if so, then the only way to explain the disproportionate number of women and people of color in the industry is based on merit - and the data doesn't back that up. Rachel Sklar & Eric Ries have both at one time or another pushed the unpopular idea that maybe - just maybe - there are institutional biases and barriers keeping underrepresented groups away from the table. Now, for the first time, they will be unpopular together.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What does it mean to be a meritocracy?
- If we concede that Silicon Valley is not a meritocracy, does that minimize the success of those who have made it?
- Forget social good, what are the bottom-line reasons to support diversity?
- What are the three things that need to be done to change the ratio quickest?
- Does bringing this awkward stuff up create an even worse environment for disadvantaged groups?
Rachel Sklar, Founder, Change The Ratio