SXSW Interactive 2013
The Underdog Marketer - Virgin Mobile
Verizon Wireless and AT&T are two of the biggest spenders in the ad business. Yet last month, brand challenger Virgin Mobile announced the iPhone at a uniquely low price, casting a stone at the Goliaths and provoking a stir of conversation. But Virgin Mobile doesn’t even rank in the top 100 of advertisers – so how do they compete?
Virgin Mobile Head of Brand Marketing, Ron Faris, will discuss “newsroom marketing”, an array of next-generation tactics employed by the no-contract mobile carrier, from the innovative social publishing partnership with Buzzfeed, to combating a category-wide stigma across social communities, and how a combination of drive and creativity can help an underdog make up for a drastically smaller budget.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Where did the concept of newsroom marketing come from and why did Virgin Mobile decide to apply it to their brand?
- How important is the role that social media plays in newsroom marketing?
- What other type of brands could potentially benefit from a newsroom marketing scenario?
- How can marketers with limited ad budgets compete against the major brands in their industry?
- What are the different ways that Virgin Mobile has implemented newsroom marketing strategies into its ad campaigns and consumer engagement programs?
- Ron Faris , Head of Brand Marketing for Virgin Mobile USA , Virgin Mobile
Andrew Stein , publicist , Sunshine Sachs