Research shows that young people are more likely to be engaged with career exploration if it is student-centered and paired with skill-building activities. Directly aligned to this approach, South Brooklyn Community High School (SBCHS) has developed a year long career pathway exploration experience for students that utilizes key elements of personalization; community engagement; and technology. SBCHS staff, students, and partners will discuss with attendees how the school leveraged two seemingly disparate activities - a digital film production class and college/career exploration - to strengthen students' connection to their community and future.
- Learn about the South Brooklyn Community High School & Good Shepherds services model, which combines academic rigor & youth development principles.
- Discuss strategies for integrating student-centered, tech-driven, project-based learning opportunities and college/career advising.
- Hear and learn from students and staff in the program on the successes and challenges of cross-school/cross-community collaborations.
- Dantel Proctor , Program Associate, Jobs for the Future
- David Arons, Job/Internship Coordinator, South Brooklyn Community High School
- SBCHS Student, Student, South Brooklyn Community High School
Clare Bertrand, AssocDir, Jobs for the Future
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.