SXSW Interactive 2013
It's OK to be Takei
George Takei may be best known as a TV and film star but he has quickly become the darling of Facebook. George’s 2.2 million Facebook fans are more diverse than just Star Trek geeks or fans of stints on the Howard Stern Show. George’s fan base has grown exponentially because he is arguably the best curator of content on Facebook. From fun photos to silly puns George's shares get reshared millions of times over. But he also uses Facebook and social media as a platform to educate and advocate for social good. He's focused a lens on gay rights, talking openly about his own marriage to his husband Brad. He's successfully crowdfunded "Allegiance," a new musical that focuses on the internment of Japanese Americans during World War 2. He’s also unafraid to poke Facebook itself highlighting the shortcomings of the platform. In this open coversation, George will highlight how to use Facebook and social media to truly "live long and prosper."
Share this idea
- What are the best ways to effectively curate content?
- How can you effectively leverage social media to increase your fan base?
- How do you make sure your voice and tone is distinct enough to break through the clutter?
- How can you use social media to communicate a pro social message and inspire action?
- How do you address the expectations of different audiences through a single social channel?
Michael Bellavia, President, HelpsGood