Real-world applications of STEM in sports are all around us. Baseball utilizes statistics. Basketball involves aerodynamics. Football requires velocity, angles and force. As research shows that by eighth grade 50% of students lose interest in STEM subjects, Discovery Education, the NFL Players Association and EA SPORTS are hosting a panel to explore how educators can utilize sports-centric educational tools and games to engage kids in these critical subjects and inspire careers in STEM. Joining the student on the panel will be an NFL star and EA SPORTS expert, who will discuss the relevance of STEM to their careers.
- Illustrate how games & sports are key to capturing the attention of young learners & provide concrete examples of careers in sports/gaming industries.
- Participants will understand a student’s perspective on the use of gaming and sports-centric interactives to teach STEM subjects.
- Participants will learn examples of sports-centric educational tools that can be used to engage students when they return to their classrooms.
- Edwin Batista, Florida's Orange County Public Schools
- EA SPORTS representative EA SPORTS representative , Electronic Arts (EA)
- Stacie Kronthal, Discovery Education
- NFL player NFL player, NFL
Alycia Chanin, Communications Coord, Discovery Education
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.