SXSW Interactive 2013
How to Turn Your Hobby Into A Full-Time Job
Sure, your friends love that coffee table you made in your garage, your Arduino-controlled tweeting refrigerator, or the blanket you made for your cousin's new baby. But can you really turn your hobby into a full-fledged business? And where do you even begin? Eric Wilhelm, founder of DIY website Instructables.com, will share examples of hobbyists who have turned their labors of love into real businesses. He'll describe how to channel your creative passion, evaluate risks, avoid common pitfalls, find an audience, raise funds, and develop and scale your growing business.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- How do I know if anyone will like my stuff, and how much they will pay?
- Will I still love what I do even if it becomes my day job?
- How much risk can or should I take on?
- What should I know about lawyers, Etsy, Kickstarter, VCs, and Chinese manufacturing?
- What might go horribly wrong, and how do I avoid disaster?
- Eric Wilhelm, Founder, Instructables
Jennifer Gentrup, PR Manager, Autodesk