SXSW Interactive 2013
20 Yrs of Website Search: An Interactive Approach
For 20 years we’ve seen websites grow but it’s important to see how features have evolved. Join us as we narrate through five (5) evolutionary phases of website search. Starting with a simple text box and ending with aggregating live twitter feeds to rank search results in real time. All sketches will have downloadable and runnable code that demonstrates the search feature.
This won’t be your typical presentation: each evolutionary step will have downloadable code that accompanies the demo. Each demo will be in a sketch comedy format that pokes fun around the era the feature was first widely used.
Features demonstrated will be spellcheck, autofill/suggestions, relevancy algorithms, analytical feedback, and social media integration.
We will take turns presenting the sketch as the other person does the demo. A computer backdrop will be used for each sketch and there will be some sound effects during the presentation.
Share this idea
- How has search evolved over the last 20 years?
- What difficulties did technologists have to overcome to make these features?
- How do I implement the search features on my website?
- The code you demonstrated is on github, how do I contribute to this project and add more features?
- What will search be in the future?
Kristian Rickert, Sr Architect, Huge