SXSW Music 2013
Why Artist Development Matters: Then and Now
Artist Development is a second thought at the major labels as they rely more and more on hit singles at Radio and on iTunes. But to have a long term successful career, you need artist development to grow your fan base. This panel will talk about all the key elements in artist development.
Share this idea
- Do old school artist development techniques like street teams, tour marketing, college radio, in store performances, local press, fanzine ads still exist and how does a new or emerging artist go about those functions?
- What are the new forms of artist development? Topics include: Building email list vs. Facebook likes and Twitter followers; Stage-It type platforms where artist can play to the masses from home; small niche festival gigs looking for local acts; giving away music and what to ask for in return; focus on acquiring true fans on social media channels vs. getting social media numbers up to build a hype; online radio stations opening their playlists to emerging artists.
- Are Facebook ads the new fanzine ads?
- What role do labels and managers play in developing an artist?
- What platforms exist to help an indie artist?
Victoria Camera, VP, Music Industry Relations, ReverbNation