SXSW Interactive 2013
Here's Your Jetpack. Now, Shut Up!
Arthur C. Clarke is credited with the idea of the satellite communication system. Issac Asimov coined the term Robotics. The works of Science fiction writers have inspired many young people into the science/technology industry. But their work has also directly altered the path of technology. Some of the concepts seen in TV and movies such as Star Trek are now a reality and may not have been without those shows. Or do works like Blade Runner or Orwell's 1984 paint a better picture of what's in store for us? This panel would explore the symbiotic relationship between technology and science fiction.
Share this idea
- How has science fiction affected the growth and direction of technology?
- Will the future be like Blade Runner or Star Trek?
- When will science fiction and reality meet? (if ever)
- How can Sci-fi be used as a forecaster?
- Can fictional works improve our future?
Mary Katherine Rordam, Creative Editorial Manager, 22squared