☰ Sidebar
Voting period for this idea type has passed

SXSW Interactive 2013

The Other 1%: One Percent for Good

Thanks to the Occupy movement, we all know who “the 1%” are – the wealthiest among us, whose fortunes far exceed those of the other 99%. We’ve come to associate the idea of 1% with affluence, privilege, and even greed.

But there is another 1% in our midst, whose aims are far more charitable: the network of organizations loosely – and somewhat unconsciously – creating a movement of 1% for good.

In the past 15 years, groups like 1% for the Planet, the One Percent Foundation and 1% of Nothing, and companies such as Salesforce.com and Google, have created opportunities for people and institutions to donate one percent of their resources, time, and products, to make the world a better place.

This panel will bring together leaders from some of these organizations to explore for the first time the idea of 1% for good -- what it means, how it has come to fruition, and what its implications are for the future of the social sector.

Share this idea

Related Media

Additional Supporting Materials

Takeaways

  1. Where does the focus on 1% come from and why is it such a common concept in social change?
  2. How is the idea of contributing 1% applied across these and other organizations?
  3. How can the notion of 1% for good be used to create broader engagement in social change?
  4. How has the Occupy movement influence the 1% brand and messaging for these organizations?
  5. Is 1% too little to be asking of people and companies?

Speakers

Organizer

Mike Berkowitz, Co-Founder & CEO, Third Plateau Social Impact Strategies

Meta Information:

  • Tags: philanthropy
  • Event: Interactive
  • Format: Panel
  • Track: Community and Activism
  • Level: Beginning
Show me another idea

Add Comments

comments powered by Disqus

SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.