SXSW Interactive 2013
Maps as the Emotional Connective Tissue
Why are maps engaging, emotional? If you think about a significant moment in your life (your first day of school, your wedding day, or your first broken heart), wherever that special moment happened, digital maps can accurately connect you to not just the physical location, but to the emotion that makes that place significant to you.
In the last year, the world’s top creative agencies used the Google Maps API as part of a significant advertising campaign. Using maps as the ‘emotional connective tissue,’ a personal connection to the consumer can be created in websites, interactive campaigns, mobile apps, games, and much more. In this session, we’ll cover how it’s been done, how it can be replicated, and the future of this tool. We’ll also dive into the mechanics and outcomes of several major marketing campaign using maps.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What makes a map’s application emotional?
- What are the most innovative uses of maps in the last year?
- What are the metrics to support this theory?
- How do maps add geo-context to social networking?
- How can I do the same? What are some tools that developers use to create engaging maps?
- Carlos Cuesta, Product Marketing Manager, Google, Inc.
Carlos Cuesta, Product Marketing Manager, Google, Inc.