SXSW Interactive 2015
Social Listening: Predict Buzz Before It's Buzzing
Social listening has revolutionized market research and marketing practice. In the past, research of opinions and reactions to products and brands has required pre-defined inputs, respondents, controls, and variables. By contrast, the social listener is a fly on the wall of conversation happening around the globe – offering visionary insight into culture and changing trends. The #Selfie soared to new cultural heights after Ellen’s snap at the Academy Awards, but the term was Tweeted over 75 million times before Ellen took that popular pic. Using social media data and analysis, we will look at inflection points that signify massive cultural adoption, and point toward social signals that could predict when they may be ready to take off. We will discuss how social listening can be used to predict cultural adoption for industry, politics, and to create social change.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is social listening?
- How is social listening different from other market research?
- How can social listening analyze and predict culture?
- What are the benefits of predicting culture through social listening?
- What cultural predictions can be made right now?
Kiri Cubela, Director of Communications, Translation