SXSW Interactive 2015
Increasing the Diversity of Tech Startup Founders
Minority-owned businesses are being formed at a faster rate than non-minority-owned businesses, and their economic impact is growing rapidly nationwide. In Austin our growing tech industry and the diversity of our population is reflected in the growing number of African American, Hispanic and Asian founders of tech startups. Austin has the opportunity to benefit from the economic impact of the increasing number of diverse tech entrepreneurs. We need to increase access to the resources that will enable these founders to accelerate the growth of their ventures into large enterprises. Key resources needed include mentors, tech accelerators and investors. Building national and international awareness of how the diverse and inclusive tech entrepreneurship community in Austin differs from other cities will help attract more of the resources needed to make Austin a mecca for diverse tech founders.
Share this idea
- What is the economic impact of the diverse tech founders in Austin?
- What resources are needed to accelerate the growth of diverse tech founders?
- How can we ensure that all founders have access to the venture capital needed to grow their enterprises when less than 5% of venture capital goes to diverse entrepreneurs although African Americans, Hispanics and Asians comprise more than 30% of the US population and more than half of the population in Austin?
- What is the impact of international founders, customers and investors on the tech industry in Austin?
- What networks, tech accelerators and venture investors are supporting the success of diverse tech entrepreneurs?
Belinda Matingou, Co-Founder, Silicon Grande