SXSW Interactive 2013
Digital Weavers™: Rethinking Fight Against Cancer
CLOUD, Inc. (Consortium for Local Ownership and Use of Data) shared a vision at TEDxAustin in February 2011 to reweave the fabric of the Internet to transform not only the Internet itself but healthcare, as well as the war on cancer.
As the leaders of LIVESTRONG know, this war touches 28 million people with cancer worldwide. They look at the experiences of the cancer community, find problems and develop solutions. Then they roll them out to help more people in more situations. Meanwhile, CPRIT (Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas) was overwhelmingly authorized by the voters of Texas to spend $3B in Texas for both groundbreaking cancer research and prevention.
With CLOUD's evolving language for the future Internet, not only can digital fabrics of information be created for research (ensuring privacy and security) but customized patient information can be assembled for clinical trials or population level info like the Gallup • Healthways Well-Being Index®.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What are Digital Weavers™ and digital fabrics and how do they relate to healthcare?
- How can the first social network, LIVESTRONG's ubiquitous yellow bands, be transformed in to a yellow mile for the Internet and connect 28M cancer survivors worldwide? How can patient-centricity and privacy exist simultaneously with better information to accelerate clinical trials?
- What are the transformative possibilities for cures and prevention from CPRIT's $3B in investments over 10 years? How can these Texas-sized investments make a mark in the Lone Star state and beyond?
- How can the ground-breaking Gallup • Healthways Well-Being Index® let us not only see well-being at a national level but discretely for cancer?
- How can rethinking health IT allow us to transform clinical trials and accelerate cures?
- Gary Thompson, Co-Founder & CEO, CLOUD, Inc.
- Anthony Barrett, Vice President, Healthways
- Heidi McConnell, Chief Operating Officer, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)
- Andy Miller, EVP, Operations, LIVESTRONG
Kathy Tavitian, Interim President & COO, CLOUD, Inc.