SXSW Interactive 2015
Crossculturalism: Catching Up To The New America
In a session chock-full of fun videos and unique research data, we show how multicultural audiences are key authors of the new mainstream. Based on these eye-popping trends, we recommend clients look to multicultural agencies and leverage multicultural insights to make their general market advertising and innovation strategies more powerful and relevant.
We'll walk through proprietary studies such as:
(1) A Dictionary analysis of every word added to the US Dictionary, and how that shows a radical shift in US culture—from mainstream-focused to fringe/multicultural-focused;
(2) Dating study in partnership with the largest online free dating website (OKCupid), we analyzed who is trying to hook up with who. We show--with a bit of humor--how younger folks are purposefully seeking out people of different cultures;
(3) Subconscious Study of what the US thinks of Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians.
Includes case studies of brands leveraging crossculturalism today.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What does America think of Blacks, Hispanics and Asians, and what hot cultural trends are growing because of this influence? Food? Music? Fashion? Dating? Our very own language?
- How can my brand be in touch with culture today?
- How do I reach the General Market audience using a Multicultural Perspective?
- How do multicultural audiences fit into my overall advertising approach? Do I silo them and simply target them individually, or can I do that and more?
- What is a big future opportunity for US Hispanic, Black and Asian agencies in the US? Why SHOULD they be doing more general market work?
Jessika Gomez-Duarte, Cultural Anthropologist, Collider