SXSW Interactive 2015
How Latina Moms Are Raising NextGen Coders
Latina moms are creating communities to share resources on getting their kids to learn to code. Latino parents are taking a stronger interest in tech education. They are instilling culture, education and technology skills to help their kids build their future. These future developers will diversify the tech scene.
Share this idea
- As the next generation of children become digital natives, how do we reach more underrepresented communities become creators of technology instead of users of technology?
- How are Latino parents instilling cultural values in their kids to encourage them to use this technology to solve problems that their Latino community faces?
- Who is investing, not just money, but time and resources in these future coders and developers who will diversify the tech industry and are they creating affordable, effective and sustainable resources beyond coding events?
- How is today's lack of diversity in the tech field an obstacle in helping Latina moms find mentors and resources to help them encourage their kids to enter the tech industry?
- Latinos index high in using mobile. How are these mothers using that to their advantage to locate community and resources to raise their kids to enter the tech field? How do they expand their knowledge to reach more families?
Melanie Mendez-Gonzales, Blogger, self