There is a massive financial and demographic shift taking place in higher education. The status quo is losing its luster and students are seeking flexible alternatives in a changing world. Catalyzed by skyrocketing costs, new market demands and rising inequality, change has become inevitable. The maturation of cloud and mobile technology are facilitating access to affordable, flexible alternatives, and algorithms, paired with simple, user-centric design, are transforming the learning landscape.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Understand why higher education institutions fall short in enrollment and revenue despite constant growth in discount rates. Examine how growth in tuition and student debt is shifting public sentiment toward a more sustainable, equitable model.
- Explore how advances in technology — from digital textbooks to iPad-friendly degree programs — and data-driven innovation in instruction have enabled competency-based degrees as an affordable, flexible alternative.
- Examine the future of competency-based education and how, in addition to decreasing student debt, it will level the playing field for part-time students, lower-income groups and others who have become disenfranchised by the status quo.
- Navneet Johal, Analyst, Education Technology, Ovum
- Gary Brahm, Chancellor, Brandman University
- Chris Etesse, CEO, Flat World Education
Matt Reichman, PR Manager, Method Communications
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.