Promoting Equity to Achieve the American Dream
Is the American Dream truth or fiction? Based on the realities our students face, it is time to have a critical discussion on what the most cutting-edge data shows and the necessary adjustments that must be made to ensure students have the opportunity to be successful on their chosen life paths. Hear from two practitioners who have successfully used data analysis to refine their respective organizations' interventions (Advancement Via Individual Determination and Dell Scholars).
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Examine nuances inherent in tracking student persistence over time.
- Review research from the AVID Center and the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation on factors contributing to persistence in college.
- Discuss how to measure the effectiveness of student interventions and support structures in helping low-income students achieve success.
- Dennis Johnston, Senior Director, Chief Research Officer, AVID Center
- Oscar Sweeten-Lopez, Program Director, Dell Scholars Program
Kayla Burrow, Communications Specialist, AVID Center