SXSW Interactive 2015
The Alternate Universe of Celebrity
These days you don’t need a name like Kardashian, Beyonce, Miley or LeBron to get center stage and cultivate a global following. All you need is a mobile device and a willingness to share your world with the whole world. There is an alternate universe of celebrity that is taking over the internet and changing culture.
These stars don’t just get their start online, but they are drawing mass audiences to their digital channels. While they may not yet have household names, this new generation of digital celebrities is attracting devoted fans and rising to fame in ways unparalleled by mainstream stars.
We’ll look at what it’s like to be a digital celebrity and how to outlive the notorious five seconds of fame. Just because anyone can post a video does not mean that anyone can build an audience. The system for becoming internet-famous and winning votes in a click-driven democracy can be just as hard as making it in Hollywood. But it can also be incredibly rewarding.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Who are the digital celebrities?
- What is the path to becoming a digital celebrity?
- What is a day in the life of a digital celebrity?
- How will the new generation of digital natives continue to turn things on their head?
- What can this new generation of celebrities teach us about finding a purpose and growing a following online?
- Rebecca McCuiston, SVP of Influencer Marketing, 360i
Kara Passarelli, Marketing, 360i