SXSW Interactive 2015
Digital Democracy: Amplifying LGBT Stories
While LGBT rights (and other pressing political issues) continue to be contested in the courts, the legislature and ballot box, the public involvement on these issues is increasingly playing out in digital media—in the U.S. and around the world. Digital storytelling, crowdsourcing campaigns and online journalism is shaping how the public understands and supports complex issues, the real-life challenges facing marginalized people, and how they engage in public grassroots campaigns to affect change. This panel will bring together leaders in digital storytelling and advocates from the LGBT rights arena to discuss how digital innovations are increasingly dictating the most salient political issues of our time and consider how storytelling and online engagement drives change as we imagine possible futures in the movement for LGBT equality.
Share this idea
- As influence shifts from more traditional modes of media making towards the digital, the media landscape is growing increasingly democratic and participatory. We ask how the LGBT community finds voice in the digital realm through storytelling and imagine how digital storytelling can help inform the future of the LGBT movement.
- What is the role of e-journalism in today's media dialogue on LGBT rights? What can bloggers and new forms of online media accomplish that complements or surpasses traditional media?
- What role does storytelling play in the digital realm and how can we document the diverse stories of our communities?
- How can storytelling promote dialogue about issues facing the LGBT community today, as well as who engages in the conversation about our future?
- How are social change advocates around the world disrupting traditional methods for social change -- and better engaging large numbers of people at the grassroots -- through digital crowdsourcing campaigns and online storytelling?
Robert Espinoza, Senior Director for Public Policy & Communications, SAGE (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders)