SXSW Film 2015
Digital Distribution's Impact on Storytelling
Digital outlets don’t simply change the way audiences watch content. Media discovery has been revolutionized by outlets such as Netflix, Hulu, Roku, & Amazon Prime, completely changing the game for audiences – and for distributors. All previous strategies are now subject to reassessment, and across the industry the same questions are being asked: Is traditional film distribution no longer applicable? What will become of the “home video” and “theatrical” markets we know so well? Should a filmmaker be fluent in new digital strategies before even picking up a camera? Can digital exposure generate substantial revenue, or is the industry just giving away an all-you-can eat content buffet?
Share this idea
- What is the revenue potential with digital distribution?
- How does digital distribution affect story development?
- Can your content generate substantial revenue if it's NOT on Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes?
- If you give away your film for FREE, can there still be monetization?
- Do we surrender to consumer pressure on how they want to consume their media, or do we still have some control & options over format, exhibition, & digital delivery methods?
Allen Chou, President, Passion River Films