SXSW Film 2015
From Short to Feature Film:Tips for the Transition
The panel of directors, writers and producers will discuss the process of turning their short into a feature film. Panelists will discuss their personal and professional journeys through this process as well as cover funding, pre- through post-production, marketing and distribution.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What were your biggest challenges with creating a feature from a short?
- How much of the original crew from the short did you get on board or rehire for the feature? What about cast?
- How did you sustain your energy to stay enthused about the movie and avoid burning out?
- Do you recommend students or inexperienced filmmakers make a short film first before diving into features?
- How did making the short film assist you in making the feature? Do you think the process of making the feature would have been different if you did not make the short first? How so?
Dennis Baker, LifeRaft Program Director, SAG Foundation