SXSW Interactive 2015
Title: Declaration of Independents
Independent content creators are leveraging YouTube and other social video platforms to redefine the media industry, shattering the hegemony of the decades old advertising and agency alliance. And many of them are making fortunes along the way. Independents aren’t a flash-in-the-pan; they’re a response to consumer demand for creativity, opinion, and deep audience interaction. The transition of independents from a cottage industry to a professionally managed business continues to evolve, which creates challenges not only to them, but also to those who engage them. The traditional media and entertainment business cannot spend its time watching reruns as the more astute executives figure out what the integration of independent creators means for their business – and their future.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Is the independent creator movement more than a fad?
- Will the independents abandon YouTube for greener pastures?
- Are all independents created equal?
- What are the implications for advertising and agencies?
- Is there a dark side to this movement?
Alexandra English, Marketing Communications Manager, Pixability