SXSW Film 2015
Women Take On Web Series
Traditional media hasn't been kind to women: both behind the screen & in front. Whereas females form over 50 percent of the population, in TV & Film representation of women is dismal. According to the Geena Davis Institute, there are “4.8 males working behind-the-scenes to every one female,” & yet many film schools admit as many women as men. Clearly, women want to make stories, create content, & see themselves represented onscreen.
However, some women working in media have decided to seize control of their own careers by working in web series. They are finding voice & visibility as both media makers & actors; they are pioneering business models & new forms of entertainment; they are connecting directly to passionate audiences rabid for female-centric content; & they are shaping minds of a new generation of girls.
Much can be learned by the women blazing a trail in web series. Meet the New Media moguls: those who are large & in charge of their own productions and careers.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- How can a web series improve a woman's career in the media entertainment industry? We will discuss the state of the industry and how to use web series to take control of one's career: both behind the scenes and on the screens.
- How can women in web series improve the world? We will discuss the importance of assuming our rightful place as meaning makers in the media industry, and the positive impacts we can have for women today and the future generation of girls ambitious and ready to take their full place in culture and society.
- How can I build a community and passionate audience that will follow and be supportive of my work for the rest of my career? Listen as the pioneers of audience development through interactive storytelling talk about connecting with fans that will support your productions and emotionally invest in your success.
- What are the lessons learned from the trenches on empowering myself, my talent, and voice by making web series? Learn how to plough through the Boy's Club mentality, empower your own voice, showcase your talents, and forge for yourself a sustainable career.
- How can I make money and build a sustainable career in web series, and why should I? We will explore why web series is the perfect vehicle for showcasing you as a showrunner, and discuss the emerging business models and sustainable practices in web series.
Carrie Cutforth, Creative Producer, Queen Spade Creative