SXSW Interactive 2015
The Death and Rebirth of the Online Community
What is online community? How has it evolved since the days of the electronic Bulletin Board through blogs, social media and online game? How will on evolve over the next 20 years with the evolution of social technology, mobile and wearable technology, augmented reality, big data, machine learning? What impact do online communities have on real-world communities? on buying behaviour? on politics and governance? How will the evolution of community impact our economy, democracy, the arts, and on consciousness itself?
Our panel of leading publishers, marketers, software developers and theorists will discuss these questions and propose a series of steps that the audience can take to connect, grow and evolve their own communities and prepare for a future where the community, not the individual, is the primary social unit.
Share this idea
- What role do online communities play in real world communities? Do they damage or improve them?
- What role does media play in forming and sustaining online communities and vice versa?
- Are current social media like Facebook and Twitter supporting or destroying online communities?
- How will online communities evolve over the next 20 years?
- How can individuals can participate more fully in the life of more than one community to create a more complex web of social interactions, spreading ideas and innovations while breaking down walls of ideology, leading to a greater sense of common humanity and purpose?
Rik Logtenberg, CEO, Timely