Open Badges provide new ways of acknowledging learning and experiences; in this session we'll push the edge of the educational innovation envelope by demonstrating how badges can both comfortably operate within traditional Higher Ed and disrupt it at the same time. Additionally we'll discuss badge research and address how badges are changing alternative education. Three dynamic speakers will demonstrate the methods they're using to assess and acknowledge learning in a badge-friendly world.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Active audience participation will result in increased discussion & knowledge of dynamic new approaches to using and researching open badges in Higher Ed and Alt Ed. Together we'll examine often unexplored assumptions about learning and knowing.
- Attendees will view real-world examples, have access to open public calls, working groups, information, and resources to continue investigating and/or implementing open badges at their organizations.
- Speakers, Moderator, and audience will improve their understanding of the potential psychological, social, and professional wins badges offer, while considering possible issues raised by badges in higher ed + alt ed.
- Carla Casilli, Director of Design + Practice, Badge Alliance
- Dan Hickey, Associate Prof and Program Coordinator, Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University, Indiana University
- Bernard Bull, Assistant Vice President of Academics and Associate Professor of Education, Concordia University Wisconsin
- Ned Batchelder, Software Developer, Open edX
Carla Casilli, Director of Design + Practice, Badge Alliance
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.