SXSW Interactive 2015
Dust Bowl in Silicon Prairie?
Thanks to modern technology and easy access to capital via services like Kickstarter, starting a company and reaching an audience has never been easier.
Every day companies are started all over America, but it seems that an inordinate amount of the most promising of those end up residing in Silicon Valley, New York or anywhere other than the Midwest.
This panel will attempt to find the benefits, drawbacks and motives of founders who have chosen to move themselves and their companies to the coasts. And whether or not a startup founded in Silicon Prairie has much hope of succeeding there as well.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is the primary reason that companies move to the coasts?
- Aside from money and talent, what are extra benefits of your current location?
- Do you think that you would have had as much success if you would have stayed in the Midwest?
- Is there something that Midwest can provide startups that the coasts can't?
- Given that Kickstarter, to a certain degree, provided validation and funding of your idea, do you feel the move was absolutely necessary?
Brad Marsh, Senior Developer, ReachLocal Inc.