SXSW Film 2015
Pay For Gay: Crowdfunding LGBT Film & TV
Although growing, the number of LGBT people portrayed and represented on TV and film is sparse. And yet, LBGT communities have a combined $830 billion purchasing power. So, while there may be gay characters in a film or series, they aren't real representations; characters are either written by someone outside the LGBT community and/or influenced by the politics of ratings.
So, what is a viable solution for achieving authentic LGBT representation in the media? Crowdfunding may be the answer. Platforms such as Indiegogo and Kickstarter have proven to be a great way for LGBT people to fund independently run projects in the entertainment industry and ultimately put forth content that represents them authentically.
Join us for a lively conversation and Q&A with Cristine Cardenas (editor/associate producer - DTLA), and Brittani Nichols (blogger - Autostraddle, writer/producer - Words With Girls) as they discuss their experiences and give advice on crowdfunding LGBT content.
Share this idea
- Does quality LGBT media content exist in the mainstream? What does/would that content look like?
- What does crowdfunding offer a project that TV networks and production companies don’t?
- What would your advice be to LGBT content creators who want to use crowdfunding to bring their project to life? Any particular things to do or avoid?
- So the project is funded, now what?
- Are you confident successful crowdsourced LGBT content is a step towards mainstream media making more authentic LGBT content? Why or why not?
Heather Carmichael, CEO, Kelleher Communications, Inc.