Building the research base for STEM apps in Prek
The Next Generation Preschool Math (NGPM) team has spent years designing, iterating on, and evaluating math apps, hands-on activities, and teacher professional development for the Pre-K classroom. A recent randomized experiment showed that Pre-K classrooms that used the NGPM materials made significantly more improvements in the target math skills. In this session we will present our results and share lessons learned about designing apps for Pre-K and integrating mobile apps into the classroom.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- Develop an understanding of what effective, design-based research looks like.
- Identify the best practices and design principles for integrating technology into the early learning classroom that emerged from this work.
- Consider where future efforts should focus, both in terms of early learning and technology research as well as educational app development.
- Christine Zanchi, Executive Producer, WGBH Educational Foundation
- Philip Vahey, Director of Mathematics Learning Systems, SRI International
- Shelley Pasnik, VP, Director, Education Development Center, Center for Children and Technology
Christine Zanchi, Executive Producer, WGBH Educational Foundation