SXSW Interactive 2014
How to Kickstart and Entrepreneurship Ecosystem
Oasis500 is getting a lot of attention in Jordan and the MENA region because it is a unique accelerator/fund that is attempting to do two things:
1. Transform the economy by creating a private sector jobs engine in a region plagued with public sector inefficient jobs at a scale not imagined in Western economies
2. Creating a tech entrepreneurship ecosystem from scratch including:
a. Training entrepreneurs
b. Funding and accelerating new ventures - showing them how to achieve in 3 months what is traditionally a year or more in scope
c. Building a class of angel investors where none exist
d. Building the largest mentor network in the MENA region to help companies perform
The strategy is to achieve culture change by delivering a shock to the system by investing in 500 startups in 6 years. A goal considered impossible and being achieved systematically today. The project started with the urging of HM King Abdullah II and his funding through non-government support.
Share this idea
- How is Oasis500 creating a tech entrepreneurship ecosystem from scratch in the MENA region? and how is it changing the business culture?
- Why is it the best time to invest in MENA and specifically in IT startups?
- What challenges and gaps is Oasis500 trying to eliminate in the tech startup investments and acceleration ecosystem in the MENA region?
- What are the achievements and results in the first two years of operations? and what were the surprises?
- why should IT startups consider launching their businesses from the MENA region?
- Dr. Usama Fayyad, Executive Chairman, Oasis500
Dr. Usama Fayyad, Executive Chairman, Oasis500