SXSW Interactive 2014
Smart Landscapes of the Future
“Innovation as a Dutch experience” Daan Roosegaarde, creative director of the social design lab Studio Roosegaarde, delivers unimaginable technology to the world – in the most literal way. With studio’s in Rotterdam and Shanghai, he develops innovative, interactive landscapes that are accomplished through the objective of pulling technology ‘out of the screen’ and integrating it into the real world. The key to accomplishing this task, believes Roosegaarde, is his Dutch attitude of artist-entrepreneur, which he considers equal parts “priest and entrepreneur” in order to perfectly merge technology and creativity. Through the creation of social designs that instinctively respond to sound and movement, he is able to pursue the widest possibilities of technological innovation. Roosegaarde is best known for his internationally awarded projects such as ‘Dune’, ‘Intimacy 2.0’, ‘Sustainable Dance Floor’ and currently the 'Smart Highway' which are interactive and sustainable roads.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- How can we make more sustainable and eco-friendly landscapes such as squares and roads?
- How to run a creative business, successfully in the current economic climate.
- What is 'Techno-Poetry'?
- Daan Roosegaarde believes that we must lose the “yes, but...” mentality and start to “look for the missing links” between innovation and imagination.
- Daan Roosegaarde believes that the world as how we know it is broken and will demonstrate unexpected new proposals.
- Daan Roosegaarde, Communications, Studio Roosegaarde
Lidi Brouwer, Communications, Studio Roosegaarde