SXSW Interactive 2014
Maker Democracy Spurs Innovation
The US was founded with the Maker spirit – fix things you have, make things you need and work together to achieve the best outcome. The Maker movement is rekindling those ideals in a new generation. TechShop, a nationwide chain of DIY fabrication and workshop studios, democratizes the access to tools of innovation by providing 1M+ worth of prototyping tools, classes and design software. TechShop is helping Makers make again and bringing out the Maker in all of us. By bringing together cutting edge equipment and knowledge TechShop is opening the doors to innovation, manufacturing and giving Makers a place to tinker, create and build. Mark Hatch, CEO of TechShop, with an upcoming book about the Maker Movement, believes the Maker Democracy is alive and well and is helping to spur the movement.
Share this idea
- What is the Maker Movement?
- Has the Maker Movement gone mainstream? Why has that happened?
- What does the acceleration of the Maker Movement mean to US manufacturing and economy?
- What does TechShop have to do with the Maker Movement and how has TechShop spurred this movement?
- Who are makers?
- Mark Hatch, CEO, TechShop
Carrie Motamedi, PR, TechShop