Lessons Learned from NewsHive (Youth Media Fest!)
This Core Conversation EDU SESSION panel, “Lessons Learned from NewsHive (Youth Media Fest!)” will start with an introduction about the festival, after which we'll have a conversation about the challenges and successes of creating a youth media festival that implements the principles of connected learning. We will explain goals and details of how NewHives works and how it has evolved over the past three years since the festival's inception in 2011. NewsHive answers some of the main questions of connected learning, such as "what would it mean to think of education as a process of guiding youth’s active participation in public life that includes civic engagement, an intellectual, social, recreational, and career-relevant pursuits?” By looking at NewsHive, we hope to discuss the best practices and implementations of connected learning, as well as discuss what were the failures and why. We hope that our conversation would ignite interests from others to create more NewsHives.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- How can we get young people, especially from low-income communities, to be excited about becoming more civically engaged and understand the importance of their voices?
- How does this festival create a network that encourages young people, mainly from low-income communities, to work towards their future goals of going to college and having successful careers in news media (creating a more diversified news media industry)?
- How does this festival implement the principles of connected learning by creating an environment where youth and young adults connect with and learn from each other, professionals in the news media industry and media education; they can create projects together through collaborative design and work, some motivated through competition and achievements; they are able to take their experiences and the knowledge they acquired back into their classrooms, communities and lives?
- Sanda Htyte, Associate Producer / Co-Founder and Director of NYC Digital Waves Youth Media Festival, WNYC Radio Rookies / NYC Digital Waves Youth Media Festival / NewsHive
- Anthony Schloss, Director of Media Operations (RHI) / Co-Founder of NYC Digital Waves Youth Media Festival, Red Hook Initiative
Sanda Htyte, Associate Producer / Co-Founder and Director of NYC Digital Waves Youth Media Festival, WNYC Radio Rookies / NYC Digital Waves Youth Media Festival / NewsHive