SXSW Interactive 2014
Black Church Activism 2.0:
The Black church has been central to every major political and social movement in the African American community. The movement was often male led and hierarchical with a messianic leadership-style. Civil Rights activist, Ella Baker called for a more collective form of leadership called participatory democracy. Social media has begun to democratize communication and give voice to the voiceless. What will be the impact of social media on Black Church activism in the digital age?
Share this idea
- Black church activism has declined since the days of Martin Luther King, Jr. What role can social media play to awakened the present generation?
- What are the major challenges facing black church activism today?
- How are your organizations using social media to organize (advocate)?
- Ella Baker questioned the male dominated hierarchy of the Civil Rights Movement and the Black church. How is social media changes this landscape? Do you see it leveling the playing field for women to lead?
- How has the growing influence of prosperity gospel among Black churches impacted Black church related activism?
Jamye Wooten, CEO, Kinetics Communications, LLC